Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely moved through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to know carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may be unaware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by specialists, you should have it checked. The experts at Herman Allen Plumbing, Heating & Cooling can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, the professionals will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to routinely check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always depend on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be a serious threat, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the pros at Herman Allen Plumbing, Heating & Cooling in Greater Richmond around to help, too. Give us a call at 804-302-6657 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.